Wednesday, February 04, 2009

A song to break the cold

....my alarm chimes, and chimes again. My eyes open, and yet I do not move. Once again I am greeted by the bitter cold. Once again I am lured to stay in bed. It has been this way for a week now, and I'm beginning to feel the unrest. I do not drift back to sleep. I still chose to meet with my maker, but it's been a one way conversation...cold and needy the last few mornings. I've neglected to go to His word and listen.

The cold is a test.

Will I let it touch my bones and seep into my words and actions?
Or will I run to the light, and the warmth of my redeemer?


As I lay in bed clinging to the warmth of my prayers and my sheets, a still small voice begins singing. Singing words only a mother can decipher. Lyrics that have been jumbled about and personalized, and yet their truth rings clearly in my ears.....



Yes, Jesus loves Abby- my morning child. Since the day she way born she has raced the sun to rise. Since she has learned to sing rising with this song in her heart. Warmth fills my bones as she snuggles in close, I hum along.

Yes, Jesus loves you- My faithful friends. My prayer warriors. My fellow believers. Even in these dark cold days, when all seems bleak He is there. He has plans for you. As I lifted you up in prayer this morning I clung to that promise for you. I focused on the way that light casts away all dark. A single person may feel cold BUT add just a few more and suddenly the air is warmer and the chill is gone. So as I lay snuggled in to listen to this serenade, I laid another blanket over you this morning, one that may not be seen but only felt. He will warm you.

Yes, Jesus loves me- As I strive to honor Him. When I am good, and when I feel I fail. When I master my anger, and when I kick my child's dresser in frustration. When I am able to hear Him, and when I have on ear muffs thinking I can block the cold on my own. When I meet Him in the wee morning hours, or in fast food moments through out the day. He loves me. He warms me. He causes the only alarm clock that guarantees me to move to let out a squeal of hungry zest. She for one is ready to greet the day with a warm breakfast. As I finally leave my bed I know He loves me....even then.

The Bible tells me so:

For the mountains may move
and the hills disappear,
but even then my faithful love for you will remain.
My covenant of blessing will never be broken,
says the Lord, who has mercy on you.
-Isaiah 54:10 (NLT)


My answer is clear. To my Father I will run. His warmth is all I need. His faithful love, mercy and patience I will cling to.

Thank you God for that still small voice to remind me of Your love. Thank You for honoring my efforts and forgiving my failures. Help me to warm my children's hearts, so that they see You in my reactions- instead of the frigid cold and space between us that anger brings. I love you. Amen.

Video notes: I took this of Abby AFTER we left the inviting warmth of our bed. Funny but her voice warms me just the same.


2 comments:

Joan said...

Abby - that was adorable. Jesus DOES LOVE you babe!
And Des - that was such a moving post. Thank you for sharing. :) Love you lots!

sharon brobst said...

This was a beautiful reminder! Thanks!